OpenFOAM® Introductory Training
Wolf Dynamics offers this introductory OpenFOAM® training course in cooperation with the University of Genova on a regular basis. The training course is aimed to those with little or no experience in the use of OpenFOAM®, or for those who want to improve their skills using OpenFOAM®.
During the lectures, the attendees are introduced to all aspects of OpenFOAM® as a general-purpose CFD and Multiphysics solver, from structure and organization of the library, to running cases, to programming. Hands-on sessions are organized, where the participants have the opportunity to solve pre-defined cases (or their own cases) with the assistance and guidance of the course trainers.
Additionally, a few sessions are dedicated to geometry generation, mesh generation, and visualization by using Open Source tools. To help the learning process, a short introduction to the finite volume method, basic Linux OS commands and the C++ programming language are also provided.
The training course last 5 days, which we think is the minimum time needed to introduce all the concepts of OpenFOAM®, and the CAD/Meshing/Visualization tools.
Topics covered during this course include:
• OpenFOAM® overview, utilities and applications.
• OpenFOAM® installation.
• Background in the use of Linux/UNIX.
• Geometry generation, mesh generation and scientific visualization using Open Source tools.
• Coupling OpenFOAM® with external applications (such as an optimization framework).
• Basic meshing and mesh conversion in OpenFOAM®.
• Setting cases, and solution monitoring and control in OpenFOAM®.
• Turbulence modeling.
• Data analysis, sampling, graphing and post-processing in OpenFOAM®.
• Running in parallel and acceleration on GPUs using NVIDIA CUDA®.
• Basics of C++ programming language and its use in OpenFOAM®.
• Finite Volume Discretization: theoretical base of OpenFOAM®.
• Programming and modifying OpenFOAM® solvers, utilities and boundary conditions
This training is open to everybody. To cover administrative and various expenses, there is a small nominal fee, which includes the course material in electronic form on a USB key.
Ph.D. students, postdocs, researchers 50€ + VAT
People coming from the industry 350€ + VAT
For people coming from the industry, time limited free training support is included in the inscription fee ( 60 days). We also offer extended training support at a nominal price. For further details about extended training support
The lectures notes and tutorials used during the 2013 OpenFOAM® Introductory Course can be downloaded here:
2. OpenFOAM overview
4. CFD workflow
7. Running in parallel/GPU
8. FV basics
9. C++ basics
10. Programming in OpenFOAM
11. Programming applications
13. Extending OpenFOAM capabilities
14. Tips and tricks
Disclaimer & Usage of trade marks
OpenFOAM® and OpenCFD® are registered trade marks of ESI. This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software.