OpenFOAM® Introductory Training
Wolf Dynamics offers this introductory OpenFOAM® training course in cooperation with the University of Genova on a regular basis. The training course is aimed to those with little or no experience in the use of OpenFOAM®, or for those who want to improve their skills using OpenFOAM®.
During the lectures, the attendees are introduced to all aspects of OpenFOAM® as a general-purpose CFD and Multiphysics solver, from structure and organization of the library, to running cases, to programming. Hands-on sessions are organized, where the participants have the opportunity to solve pre-defined cases (or their own cases) with the assistance and guidance of the course trainers.
Additionally, a few sessions are dedicated to geometry generation, mesh generation, and visualization by using Open Source tools. To help the learning process, a short introduction to the finite volume method, basic Linux OS commands and the C++ programming language are also provided.
The training course last 5 days, which we think is the minimum time needed to introduce all the concepts of OpenFOAM®, and the CAD/Meshing/Visualization tools.
Topics covered during this course include:
• OpenFOAM® overview, utilities and applications.
• OpenFOAM® installation.
• Background in the use of Linux/UNIX.
• Geometry generation, mesh generation and scientific visualization using Open Source tools.
• Coupling OpenFOAM® with external applications (such as an optimization framework).
• Basic meshing and mesh conversion in OpenFOAM®.
• Setting cases, and solution monitoring and control in OpenFOAM®.
• Turbulence modeling.
• Data analysis, sampling, graphing and post-processing in OpenFOAM®.
• Running in parallel and acceleration on GPUs using NVIDIA CUDA®.
• Basics of C++ programming language and its use in OpenFOAM®.
• Finite Volume Discretization: theoretical base of OpenFOAM®.
• Programming and modifying OpenFOAM® solvers, utilities and boundary conditions
or check the website news to know when the next training session will be scheduled. Logistic informations about how to get to our location.
This training is open to everybody. To cover administrative and various expenses, there is a small nominal fee, which includes the course material in electronic form on a USB key.
Ph.D. students, postdocs, researchers 50€ + VAT
People coming from the industry 350€ + VAT
For people coming from the industry, time limited free training support is included in the inscription fee ( 60 days). We also offer extended training support at a nominal price. For further details about extended training support
The lectures notes and tutorials used during the 2013 OpenFOAM® Introductory Course can be downloaded here:
2. OpenFOAM overview
4. CFD workflow
7. Running in parallel/GPU
8. FV basics
9. C++ basics
10. Programming in OpenFOAM
11. Programming applications
13. Extending OpenFOAM capabilities
14. Tips and tricks
Disclaimer & Usage of trade marks
OpenFOAM® and OpenCFD® are registered trade marks of ESI. This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software.