OpenFOAM® Introductory Training
Wolf Dynamics offers this introductory OpenFOAM® training course in cooperation with the University of Genova on a regular basis. The training course is aimed to those with little or no experience in the use of OpenFOAM®, or for those who wants to improve their skills using OpenFOAM®.
During the lectures, the attendees are introduced to all aspects of OpenFOAM® as a general-purpose CFD solver, from structure and organization of the library, to running cases, to programming. Hands-on sessions are organized, where the participants have the opportunity to solve pre-defined cases (or their own cases) with the assistance and guidance of the course trainers.
Additionally, a few sessions are dedicated to geometry generation, mesh generation and visualization by using Open Source tools. To help the learning process, a short introduction to the finite volume method, and the C++ programming language are also provided.
The training course last 5 days, which we think is the minimum time needed to introduce all the concepts of OpenFOAM®, and the CAD/Meshing/Visualization tools.
Topics covered during this course include:
• OpenFOAM® overview, utilities and applications.
• OpenFOAM® installation.
• Background in the use of Linux/UNIX.
• Geometry generation, mesh generation and scientific visualization using Open Source tools.
• Coupling OpenFOAM® with external applications (such as an optimization framework).
• Basic meshing and mesh conversion in OpenFOAM®.
• Setting cases, and solution monitoring and control in OpenFOAM®.
• Turbulence modeling.
• Data analysis, sampling, graphing and post-processing in OpenFOAM®.
• Running in parallel and acceleration on GPUs using NVIDIA CUDA®.
• Basics of C++ programming language and its use in OpenFOAM®.
• Finite Volume Discretization: theoretical base of OpenFOAM®.
• Programming and modifying OpenFOAM® solvers, utilities and boundary conditions
Training Pricing and Policies
For industry participants, the cost for the Introductory OpenFOAM® course is 350 euros. This fee includes the course material in electronic form on a USB key. For Ph.D. students the course is free (4 CFU for Ph.D. students who follow the entire course and submit the final project).
For postdocs, researchers, and so on, coming from institutions that collaborate with the University of Genova, the course is free. Otherwise there is a nominal fee of 150 Euros (the fee includes the course material in electronic form on a USB key).
The Introductory OpenFOAM® course is usually conducted at the premises of the:
University of Genova
via Montallegro 1, 16145 Genova, Italy
The language of instruction is English and the groups are limited to 20 places. For hands-on examples, attendees are required to bring their own computer with a working installation of Linux and possibly of OpenFOAM®. For those not able to install OpenFOAM® on their computers, a session is dedicated to solve installation issues.
Cancellations two weeks before the course will not be accepted due to organizational reasons. It is the choice of the costumer to send a substitute.
2. OpenFOAM overview
4. CFD workflow
7. Running in parallel/GPU
8. FV basics
9. C++ basics
10. Programming in OpenFOAM
11. Programming applications
13. Extending OpenFOAM capabilities
14. Tips and tricks
15. Download tutorials (1 Gb)
Disclaimer & Usage of trade marks
OpenFOAM® and OpenCFD® are registered trade marks of ESI. This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software.